Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Keys to Happiness

One thing I'm going to have to sort out is the key situation for this Mini. I try to have a very minimalist approach to everything in my life, including the number of items in my pocket and, therefore, the number of keys on my key ring. And this car comes with a ridiculous number of keys. There's a key for the ignition, the doors, the gas cap, the boot lid, and a special key with which to raise the antenna. Right off the bat, I don't plan on locking the gas cap or lowering the antenna on a regular basis. So I can do without those. I'm thinking I can keep the key to the boot inside the car somewhere. So that will only leave me with two: the doors and the ignition. And that's what I carry around for the Midget. And the two keys probably take up about the same amount of space as one of those huge modern day car keys, so I think I'll be in good shape.

I'm glad I have THAT all figured out. Now where's my car?

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen any setups with a motorized antenna? What are your thoughts on keyless entry? Would these things be a molestation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really concerned about "molesting" the car. I've already made several cosmetic changes (basically everything but the original blue paint), switched it to LHD, and will eventually install a newer stereo. I'm not a purist, but you won't see me adding a body kit or installing a VTEC engine either.

    Nonetheless, motorized antenna's and keyless entries are a little too luxurious for me right now. I know it's bad, but I just think of such things as more things that can break.

    UPDATE: There are only actually four keys. The boot and doors are one and the same.

    ReplyDelete