Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Mini is Mine

On Monday, the same day I got the Midget towed to the shop, I was given the go ahead to pick up my Mini. I guess that's just my life balancing itself out.

My gracious brother, who was battling a cold, offered to take me down and pick it up. I've been driving it all week and I absolutely love it. The color, the interior, the jaw-dropping handling. Everything. We had some fantastic weather on Wednesday, so I made sure to take a lunch break during work for a cruise with the windows down. Even after a few days, I find myself shaking when I drive it. I don't know if it's the pure elation I experience when driving it or if it's just me being nervous. I'm pretty sure it's the former.

I'm still amazed at just how well this car is designed. The creator (Alec Issigonis) did an unbelievable job maximizing the passenger space while keeping such a small footprint on the macadam. Also, the visibility from the inside out is awesome. I never realized it from pictures, but I do now as I drive it. The seams between the windshield, side, and rear windows are so thin that the whole plane of visibility is nearly unobstructed. I don't think I have to comment on the fantastic handling for which the Mini is most known. And sure, it lacks some of the conveniences and the reliability of modern day cars. But when it's this fun to drive, who cares?

I do, however, have one concern that I'm going to address to the seller this weekend. I'm planning on taking some nice photos this weekend to send to him as well.

In the meantime, here are some shots I snapped throughout the week. Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment